Where will the course take place?
Wild Spirit courses are dynamic and involve a high level of real hands-on veterinarian work. During your time in South Africa, we will be travelling along to game reserves, rescue centres and national parks in South Africa. There are two main areas where the course take place, Gauteng (Johannesburg and Pretoria province) and the Garden Route (George, Plettenberg Bay, Knysna).
How does the transport work?
The rand (sign: R; code: ZAR) is the currency of South Africa. You could change the money to ZAR in the bank of your originally country, or at the airport in Johannesburg. If during your time with us you need more money, we can take you to a bank, if necessary.
The value of the ZAR is about:
- 1€= 19 ZAR
- 1$ = 17 ZAR
- 1£ = 21 ZAR
This is some of the websites you can find more information about currency conversions.
What could you need money for during a Wild Spirit Course?
- Extra Meals: – Meals on the road during working time –
- Meals on free day or during extra activities
- Extra activities
- Cold and Alcoholic drinks
What should I bring along for personal use?
- Walking shoes (mountain boots), winter hat, cap, swimming wear, warm and waterproof coat, jersey, t-shirt, jeans or safari trousers, scarf, gloves, warm socks
- Early morning in the bush in South Africa can be really cold!! BE READY!!!
- Complete bath bag, sun blocks.
- Sleeping bag, (only if advised)
- Laptop (not compulsory)
- Digital Camera, GoPro; you will be glad to capture memories!!
- Small backpack for everyday water, snacks and camera.
How and what to wear?
We are professionals and so we consider you as one, is important dress-up professionally and appropriated according to the circumstances of the country we are at, it´s culture and our wildlife veterinary profession.
The bush in open vehicles at sunrise and sunset (working time) can be very, very cold!!!
June to August are the winter months in South Africa. The answer to this is dressing in layers.
Our recommendation is to dress up with a T-shirt, jeans or comfortable trousers and good boots. In the top a good jersey and a waterproof warm coat.
Some mornings can be FREEZING cold, so might be needed a warm hat, gloves and scarf.
How is the weather like?
Winter months in South Africa:
What kind of baggage should I bring?
We will recommend you bring medium site baggage and a small backpack.
The baggage can be backpacker kind or with wheels, in any case, remember that during the course we will be changing accommodations so the best will be to bring something easy for you to move and to pack.