WILD SPIRIT GABON
Wildlife Health & Conservation Expedition
Scientist-Conservation Expedition with Forest Elephants, Gorillas and Turtles
Wildlife Health & Conservation
Led by experts
Adventurous, scientist and conservationist
About Wildlife Health & Conservation Expedition
Scientists & local experts lead this One Health program in the field. It covers topics that will give you a diverse understanding of the health and conservation threats of west low land gorillas, forest elephants, and turtles in their natural habitat. The knowledge gained will enable participants to develop practical scientific studies and gain experience that will contribute to protecting endangered wildlife and global health.
The main aims
- To live a scientist-conservation expedition led in Gabon.
- To offer a unique experience where veterinarians & natural science professionals can learn about wildlife health & conservation issues in the field.
- To be exposed to the reality and challenges of Africa’s wildlife conservation efforts.
- To promote meaningful wildlife conservation medicine & Global Health projects.
- To comprehend wild animals and their ecosystem. Essential concepts to develop biodiversity-based scientific research programs.
- To directly contribute to gorillas, elephants and turtle conservation programs in Gabon.
- Gabon is a rich country in its forest and biodiversity, and its treasure is its good people and its traditional culture. All of it is endangered and worth being respected and protected.
- Understand the positive value of local indigenous people coexisting with nature and the threats of the new era.
Methodology & Modules
Experts will share their knowledge through informal talks and classroom presentations.
- Gorilla health & conservation threats
- Anthropogenic factors related to biodiversity loss and increase of Emerging Infectious Diseases
- Ecology and conservation of forest elephants, west low land gorillas and turtles
- One Health – Wildlife Conservation Medicine concept understanding and field projects
- Elephants capture and anaesthesia
- Monitoring wildlife in the wild
The only place on the planet
This expedition is a lifetime experience and a direct contribution to preserving one of the last real Edens of Africa.
21 – 30 January 2023
Based on the request, additional dates might be made available for University groups.
Book your place
Application-based on CV & Motivation Letter. Limited to 6 delegates.
LEADING Wildlife VETERINARIAN
Dr. Fabiola Quesada
Wild Spirit Fund Founder & Wild Spirit CEO
Veterinarian & Scientist
Dr Quesada will lead this expedition and lecture along with local scientific experts.
Fabiola is the CEO of Wild Spirit and the Founder of Wild Spirit Fund. She is a unique veterinarian with one target in life: Wildlife Health & Conservation in their natural environment.
Dr Quesada has led Wildlife Veterinarian Courses in South Africa for over a decade. And now, our delegates have the privilege to join her on this scientific-conservation expedition in Gabon. Here, it is taking place Wild Spirit Fund conservation projects and her PhD.
10 days, 9 nights, unlimited adventure
Gabon is a vast and extensive country. The places and National visited are hundreds of km apart, and the roads are under construction. Therefore several hours of travelling are inevitable.
Meeting at Libreville Airport
- Meeting at Libreville Airport.
- Transfer to a close-by hotel in the capital.
- Introduction talk.
- Wild Spirit welcoming merchandising pack.
day 2 - 3
Days of Transit
- One and a half-day road trip to the first National Park we will be visiting.
- One the way we will stop at points of interest.
- Be prepared! Aircon might not be available in the vehicle and the road is under construction. Comfort might not be part of this transit.
- Hiking looking for gorillas in the forest
- Guided by the local guides and scientist
- Be prepared! It’s an unforgetable experience but required to be fit!
day 4-5 Afternoon
Its the time for lectures at our research station
- Lectures by Dr Fabiola Quesada and the local scientist
An evening of magic. Meet the local traditions
- The local community will share with us their traditional dance.
Departing from the jungle into mangroves & the coast
- A stunning and adventuring journey
- 4 x4 Road trip
- Riverboat transit
- 4×4 sand trip
Tracking Forest Elephants
- Boat trip through mangroves
- 4-hour tracking through the forest.
- Meet all the secrets of those trees shared by the local guide.
- Endless white beach with turtles and elephants.
- Return trip by riverboat.
- Visit the marine turtle conservation project
Hopefully, we might see some turtles laying eggs!
- Our way back to Libreville
- Evening farewell
- Drop off at the Airport
Vets & Natural Scientists
Recommended age: 23-50 years old.
Conservationist at heart
REQUIREMENT AND ESSENTIALS
- Medium-fluent English level 60% 60%
- Be a vet, natural science professional or student 100% 100%
- CV selection 40% 40%
- Be healthy and Fit 95% 95%
- Adventurous 80% 80%
The forest can be magical but as well dangerous. We must be aware of that reality.
- Aims to learn & Easy going 100% 100%
+ 150€ conservation fee towards Wild Spirit Fund
10 day Wildlife Health & Conservation Expedition
10 days/ 9 nights Accommodation & Meals
Lectures by experts
- Scientific formal presentations
- Expert’s knowledge shared during talks and daily conversations.
- Transport by bus, 4×4 and riverboat
- In this program, our driving distance exceeds 1000Km.
Gorillas, Elephant and Turtles
- National Parks entrance and conservation fees
- Tracking days
Wild Spirit welcome pack
- Wild Spirit Corporative t-shirt, cap and notebook.
- Wild Spirit certificate
Wild Spirt Fund Donation Fee
- €150 Donation fee toward our gorilla project.
- Visit our web to know more about our critical project protecting the health and conservation of west low land gorillas in Gabon.
FEE DOESN’T INCLUDE
- International flight Country of origin- Johannesburg
- Domestic flight: Occasionally based on the availability of a local flight to return to Libreville.
- Travel insurance
- Medical Insurance
- Costs associated with VISA are not included.
- Most countries require a VISA to enter Gabon; however, its costs vary.
Book your place
I 21 – 30 January 2023
Application-based on CV & Motivation Letter.
Limited to 6 delegates
Wild Spirit is an entity that contributes to wildlife conservation and animal welfare through active participation and training of international professionals in Africa. Thanks to the quality of our programs and our strong commitment to wildlife conservation, many institutions and universities around the world support our cause and help us achieve our mission
Hammanskraal, 0400, Gauteng Province | South Africa